Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Delicious Dinners

SUNDAY
Sunday night we went to Kim and Tang's for dinner. Mom and Greg brought back a smoker for Tang, so he smoked the entire meal. It was delicious. First of all, it was fun to meet some of mom and Greg's friends here. It was fun to be at an actual house--a Perahnakan. Now, I'm sure I've spelled that wrong, but I'll go more into that later.

At Kim and Tang's, we started with fresh bread that Tang had made. Also some good guac and chips. Great, huge carrots, and a wonderful salad. Tang started by smoking a duck. I think this was the favorite all around. It was almost creamy it was so good. Yes, the head was included. Well, it was on there at one point, before it was cut.

He also had smoked several different vegetables. These were pretty good, too.

For the next course, he had smoked a fish. Yes, skin and head included. Sorry, no pictures were taken at this meal.

For the next course, he had made porkchops with small slices of apple on top. Kim does not follow recipes, never has, never will. It was her idea (I think), to put the apples on top. The two of them together in the kitchen is a wonderful thing.

Needless to say, we were very full. Oh, but wait, there's more.

The last thing they had smoked was pineapple. I think this was one of my favorite things. I love pineapple anyway, and having it smoked was delicious, too.

For dessert, mom and Greg had brought a cake. For me. For my birthday. It was a good cake. With candles and everything.

Oh, there was also a lot of wine consumed. Several bottles were opened, but there were 9 of us there. The only one I remember the name of was the Muscat we had with dessert. Very tasty and paired quite well.

MONDAY
Monday night, we met at the Brewerkz, where Scott, who was at dinner Sunday night, is the Brew Master. I had the "tour" of beers--2 oz. of 6 different beers. Pictures to come later. It was actually quite good.

After "the gang" got there, we headed over to a Perahnaken place. Perahnaken is the name given to the combination of Chinese men and Malay women. Food-wise, think of Asian fusion. Delicious. We ate outside a health club, near a pool where people swam. We pigged out, they worked out.

The spices and flavors were unbelievable. So wonderful. Again we had duck, there was also chicken and some sort of prawn crispy spring roll type of thing. I'll have to find all the names of all the stuff we ate. We also ate otak. It's served in a banana leaf.

The waiter came around and dumped rice on our plates, from a banana leaf, and then brought the food, much like "Chinese style" in an American resturaunt. You just pick and take what you want. It was all very enjoyable.

TUESDAY
Tuesday night we ate at the night safari. For the record, I didn't ask for salsa. That's how it came. Burgers were alright, fries were alright. The experience was much cooler.

WEDNESDAY
Mom and Greg took us to the Hot Spot, one of their favorite places. The Tiger beer woman knows them quite well and teases them for always ordering the same thing. I guess last time, she begged them to try something new.

Once again, it was very good. Duh. Of course it was good. We had venison, frog legs, seafood hot pot, spicy green beans, and peanuts to start with. Peanuts were shelled, but mom and Greg had the rule that you had to use your chopsticks to eat them. There was also an order to eat them--the whole ones first, then the halves with stems on them, then the ones without.

The food was spicy, but good. The sort of spicy that stays in your mouth awhile. Not terrible-terrible hot, but hot enough to taste it, to feel it. I think I even sweat some. There are pictures of the peppers. The multitude of them.

We enjoyed it.
I enjoyed sitting outside, watching the people, watching the sunset, talking about the day behind and the day ahead.

I love it here. And that's only the dinners thus far....

1 Comments:

At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, did you have the Hot Plate Deer Meat??? One of our favorite meals! But how can one choose---all my food memories of Singapore are fantastic. And so lucky to go to Kim & Tang's . . . what cool cool people!

Enjoy Thailand. And I'm sorry about my snippy salsa comment! Enjoy your peds and write lots more!

Love,
jan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home